Copyright © incy wincy spider | BLOG
Design by Dzignine
Friday, March 21, 2014

Review: Learn to ride using a Cruzee balance bike

There are three life skills that I would love to teach Aiden - riding a bike, swimming and chasing girls (hopefully in that order).

Well, he still prefers playing with boys in school compared to girls, and he loves his float too much to even think about jumping into the pool without it. So that leaves me with the easiest task of teaching him how to ride a bike.

Frankly, I had no idea how to teach him. I learned how to ride a bike in about 15 minutes when I was about seven or eight years old, and I struggle to recall the exact steps.  It seemed to involve only two steps though - one, being pushed down a steep slope on a two-wheel bike, and two, holding on for dear life.

Something like that.
So when The Little Bike Shop offered the Cruzee balance bike to us, the most difficult decision to make was the choice of colours. It comes in seven (!!) beautiful colours - black, silver, purple, blue, green, red and pink. I eventually chose black to match with my own mountain bike heheh.




Lovely anodized aluminium finish

What is the balance bike?

Many of us would start off our kids with a bicycle with training wheels. Afterall, it looks very safe, extremely stable and less daunting than a two-wheeler. However, exposing your kid to it would actually make it harder for them to graduate to the two-wheeler in the future. That is because the training wheels allow them to lean against the opposite way when making a turn. As a result, they won't be used to leaning into the same direction when making a turn (which is how you ride a two-wheeler). More importantly, all this time that they are on the training wheels, they don't actually learn the most difficult aspect of riding a bike, which is to find their balance!

Leave the training wheels behind and convert to the balance bike!
The balance bike forces your kid to try to balance, but in a safe way as the seat is low enough for both feet to reach the ground. It has no pedals to make the task more complicated, so kids tend to get the hang of balancing pretty quickly.

We had a bit of time last week (with us getting some respite from the haze and scorching sun) to try it out in the open. It helped that Aiden was already an expert on his YBike which he started riding before he turned two. It teaches the same concept of balancing and control, but in a much more forgiving way (through thicker wheels). And so it didn't take Aiden long before he got the hang of it. Looking forward to a longer practice session at the park again!


Why is the Cruzee so special?

Other than the premium looks with its sparkling 'Saphire' finish, the very obvious feature you would notice is how light it is. With the frame made of aircraft grade aluminium, this is the lightest running bike in the world at 1.9kg. I might get Stomped for this because last weekend, I had ordered Aiden to get off his bike and bring it out of a restaurant. Imagine the shock on people's faces when they saw our three year old carry the bike out by himself! In my defence, it was very inappropriate for him to ride the bike there. :D

Anyway, the Cruzee is also super safe (rust-free, padded seats, no protruding bolts) and easy to maintain (tool-free adjustments, sealed bearings, flat-free tyres).

Personally, I think the Cruzee is so special because Aiden looks super cool on it!


How does it compare to others?

I must admit that we had shortlisted a few balance bikes before the Cruzee glided (permanently) into our car boot. Here's how they compare.

Frame:
Cruzee - aircraft grade aluminium
Valo - steel
FirstBike - injection molded composite frame

Adjustment:
Cruzee - tool-free
Valo - wrench required
FirstBike - almost tool-free

Weight:
Cruzee - 1.9kg
Valo - 2.6kg
FirstBike - 3.9kg

Seat height:
Cruzee - 25.5cm to 48cm
Valo - 28cm to 40cm
FirstBike - 30.5cm (with separate lowering kit) to 44.5cm

Braking mechanism:
Cruzee - no (use both legs instead!)
Valo - no
FirstBike - yes

Footrests:
Cruzee - yes, integrated near back wheel
Valo - unknown
FirstBike - no

Steering limiter:
Cruzee - no
Valo - no
FirstBike - yes

Colours:
Cruzee - 7
Valo - 5
FirstBike - 4 (street model)


Interested in the Cruzee? Find out more by visiting the Facebook Page of The Little Bike Shop. You can also buy them from our online store (Yes, that's how much we love the bike!). What's more, you can get a 10% discount on accessories. Details are in the picture below (click to enlarge) and our PriviKids Facebook Page.


Happy Cruzee-ing!

25 comments:

  1. wow! excellent post. most are informative. I have seen your video clip. very nice. You are truly to be commended. Your blog posts are very good about. I will also trying visit this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would choose the light bike without hesitation. As a kid, I never had a bike with a chain guard, rode my bike almost every day, and never hurt myself. Awesome post. Most informative. Thx! , Super! Thanks especially for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance bikes are usually bikes devoid of pedals That little the Equally youthful As 18 calendar months may drive coming from pushing through obtaining their feet. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great advice. I taught a niece to ride this way, but we practiced on a slight decline so that it was easier for her to glide along and practice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would obtain Stomped with this simply because final weekend break, I'd purchased Aiden to obtain away their bicycle as well as take it from the cafe. Picture the actual surprise upon individuals encounters once they noticed the months aged have the actual bicycle away through them self! During my support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to think about the protection helmets, harness and different safety options of those trailers. though children will follow directions, these safety options ensures their safety throughout a rough drive. different accessories that you just got to think about square measure the reclining and cushiony seats to produce comfort to the riders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That aided in which Aiden was already a professional about his / her YBike which usually this individual started out driving just before this individual flipped a couple of. That instructs the identical notion of controlling and also handle, in a more forgiving approach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That will made it easier for through which Aiden had been an experienced with regards to his YBike which in turn they commenced operating ahead of they made a number of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got this kick scooter from Bizarkdeal for my daughter and the day care kids for something fun to play on. Turns much more easily that other onse we have used. It was very simple to assemble. Absolutely love it and the quality is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was a big fan of my little bike and guess what it was cruzee!! i was so overwhelmed when i read your article. Thanks for letting me remember my good and fun times... keep blogging

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a super cool bike. It would be great to learn with this. All my kids ride fine but I would have loved this when they were learning.Such a great starter bike for the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a strider bike for my 3 year old, that my 18 month old is always trying to steal…so we are definitely in the market for a new one. One thing I learned from the website is that they make special needs bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. Found this article as I'll be using clip less the first time tomorrow. Wish me luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nice post, I really like this post. BTW Thanks for share.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to get that bike for my kid too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really awesome post here. Actually, I my kid is so little, but he is so much interested to ride on a bike. But I thought, firstly I learn hem to how to ride on a bike. Thanks for sharing with us your post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have seen all of photos of the babies. they are looking very nice and cute :) Thanks admin for sharing such a nice article!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really very interesting and very valuable information about the balance bikes nice work.

    toddler bike

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good blog post which provided a interesting information.keep updating...
    SEO Company in India
    SEO Services in India
    SEO Companies in India
    SEO Company India

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. when I was a child my father had forced me to wear a helmet. you need to think about the protection helmets, harness, and different safety options of those trailers. If you are interested in new hybrid bike reviews visited these sites https://besthybridbikeguide.net/
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Interesting blog. I had to read it, and after several hours of reading about them I really was disappointed with their findings; we need more data for that conclusion. Here's the "official" figure. Home Renovation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...